Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tricky

So, here's my rant for the day (or year, I don"t rant much).

I was watching TV and saw this commercial for Chef Boyardee Ravioli. The basic plot was that there was half a serving of vegetables in each can or something like that and that the mom would stop at nothing to keep this a secret from the kid eating the said ravioli. So here's my question:

Why in the world do we feel like we have to lie to our kids and trick them into being healthy? Then we complain that the US is the most obese country in the world?

Seriously, do we have to turn ketchup blue to get kids to eat it? Has anyone ever had problems getting their kids to eat ketchup?


And this just doesn't make sense to me...


I mean, couldn't you spend the time finding fruits and/or vegetables that your kids do like instead of trying to find ways to trick them? I'm telling you, if your kids are hungry enough, they will eat an apple. I mean, who doesn't want to eat this...


Now, I will add a disclaimer here. You may have a different opinion if you have picky eaters. My kids are not picky eaters. My son's favorite food is salad. But I'm pretty sure that's because I've always put actual fruits and vegetables in front of them consistently and given them time to accept new foods.

And I don't lie about food.

Well, maybe about how much dessert I actually ate vs how much I intended to eat. But that is neither here nor there.

Not much is going to change regarding the health of America as long as we count on vegetables getting into our kids via a can with a 24 month shelf life.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. Thank you for your time :)