Sunday, September 06, 2009

Key Lime Pound Cake

I was inspired to make this cake after tasting one at a friend's birthday party...

So, so yummy. Not for the faint of heart. Seriously, if you have coronary artery disease, don't make this. Well, you can make it, just don't eat it :)

I used a basic cream cheese pound cake recipe except I replaced the lemon juice it called for with key lime juice. If you have fresh key limes available they would be great, but if you are landlocked in a midwestern climate like me, you can used the bottled kind:

Cream cheese pound cake:
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
3 sticks butter
3 cups flour
6 eggs
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons key lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Blend cheese and butter. Add sugar, salt, lime juice and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each one. Add flour until just mixed, pour into greased and floured pan. Bake 1.5 hours at 300 degrees.

Then I made up the icing. I wanted a cross between a glaze and a frosting and this worked pretty well:

2 cups powdered sugar
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 of a block)
~1/4 cup key lime juice
Milk if needed to thin

I basically (without measuring exactly) blended the cream cheese, powdered sugar and lime juice. Add more or less lime juice as needed. I recommend to pour the juice as you blend, because it can get too thin in a hurry. Mine was a bit thick so I added a few tablespoons of milk...the idea is to get a pourable frosting. I iced the cake while it was still very slightly warm.

Just an aside: I always use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese for anything I make. There is not really any difference taste-wise in my opinion.

I hope you are inspired to make this yummy cake...it is a great end of summer treat!!

1 comment:

Laura Pugh said...

Whoa! 3 sticks of butter and 6 eggs! No wonder it's so good! :)