Thursday, April 14, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Chicken Pot Pie

This is a favorite go-to recipe for me. My kids and hubby all love it and in general I keep all of the ingredients on hand in my pantry. It can also be made a day or two ahead of time and kept in the fridge until ready to bake.


Chicken Pot Pie
2-3 cooked, shredded chicken breasts (you can mix it up and save money by using a combo of  breasts and boneless thighs, just remove any skin before cooking)
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies (I use Hyvee brand)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup Bisquick (I use the heart healthy variety)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

*Cook chicken(boiling works well for this) and shred into fairly small chunks. Mix together with veggies and soup. I like to steam my veggies before mixing, but you don't have to. Put into 9x9 casserole dish prepared with cooking spray.

*Mix together bisquick, milk and egg. Pour over chicken mixture. At this point it will look like not enough breading will result from the amount of bisquick mix you have, but trust me, it will cook up nice and fluffy :)

*Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown on top, usually about 20-30 mins.

I serve this with a green salad. Leftovers of this are great. I have never tried to freeze this baked or unbaked before, so if some brave soul wants to try that, let me know how it turns out :)

No comments: